Sunday, October 14, 2012

Buck Wildwood

In Toledo, people who care about fitness don't jog--they run. When I first moved in, I thought the track teams from nearby high schools and universities did their training in the park across the street from my house.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered that most of the people who run in Ottawa Park (or as I like to call it, my park) are just civilians.

From what I can tell, the real warriors run in Wildwood Park, pictured above and to the right.  While walking with my daughter along one of Wildwood's trails I was tempted to hide in the brush when I saw what looked like a viking boot camp rounding the corner at a sub-five-minute-mile pace.  As they passed us, fear gave way to resentment because I realized that they were conversing as casually as if they were sitting in a coffee shop.

In fact, I still hate them, even as I am writing this.  My daughter made a face not unlike the one to the left when I told her, "I could do that."  Apparently she inherited my skepticism as well as my hair.

But at the end of the day, the humiliation was worth it.  My daughter was fascinated with the park and I was impressed with the efforts the city of Toledo makes to groom it.  Below are pictures of my daughter playing at one of the many scenic overlooks in Wildwood Park.  At this particular overlook, an elevated walkway leads out to a large deck that provides a view of the wooded valley sloping downward into the woods.

Without doubt, the winding paths of Toledo's Wildwood Park offer access to beauty and serenity.  And once I get a jogging stroller, it will offer a literal as well as a  proverbial path towards viking fitness that seems to be so popular in these parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment